Skip to main content

The long (and winding) road to Ronda

Yes it was a long day, a very long day.  I left "home" at about 6:20 to get the bus into central Malaga where I was to be picked up and did not get back here until 7:30 that evening.

There were 7 of us waiting at the stop - a family of four, a couple and myself.  I arrived after the couple who were very strange.  In fact I was closest to the bus when it pulled up but they ran to get in front of me to get a "better" seat on the empty bus.  More on them later... TWO HOURS LATER we were on our way to Ronda...the rest of the time was spent driving along the Costa Del Sol picking up other passengers.  Luckily after three hours on the bus and just before we arrived in Ronda we had a 20 minute break.  Finally...coffee!!!  (and a pee break!)  I then came out of my coma and started talking to the lady next to me who was really quite interesting.

Soon we were at the Ronda bus station and our group was split in two which was much better.  Off we went on a walking tour.


The old town and new town of Ronda are split by the magnificent gorge known as El Tajo.  The gorge is 150 metres (490 feet) deep.



This is the "new" bridge built in 1788.


If you look carefully in between the gorge in the distance you can see one of the "old'' bridges - there are a total of three that go over the gorge.

Established in the 9th century, Ronda is one of the oldest cities in Spain.  Ronda means "surrounded by mountains". The old city was established in Islamic times when it was filled with mosques and palaces.  It has a colourful history as it was filled with bandits and profiteers.  It even has a "bandit" museum - I would have loved to have visited that if I had felt better.



I thought this building's windows were quite striking - no clue what it is.




The Iglesia de Santa Maria la Mayor was originally a mosque but was converted to a Christian church.

The strange couple on the bus were on my walking tour and they kept getting in my way as of course they had to have photos of themselves in front of everything (and no they weren't Japanese).

 

Did someone say wine tasting? 

Next stop was to a shop for wine tasting.  Of course they wanted us to buy wine but I think only one person did.  I did test three different wines.  


From there we went to the bull ring.  I know...I don't believe in it either.  But I decided to keep an open mind so in I went.  At that point the walking tour was over...such as it was.

This is the oldest bull ring in the country and considered the most dangerous as there is no kind of step for the matadors to fling themselves out of the ring to escape the bull.  (aww..gee too bad)  It is also the biggest bull ring although only holds 5,000 spectators.  Apparently it is a mecca for bull fighting fanatics.





Bull pens



There was a museum as well but I gave it a very quick glance and left.  I scurried through the gift shop without stopping on the way to the exit.

There are only three bull fights a year in this ring which is enough as our guide said and I agree.

We then had two hours to look around on our own but I was too tired to do that so sat on a bench for a while people watching and then found a cafe and nibbled on a ham and cheese sandwich.  I got back to the bus station early so sat outside and had a cafe con leche and the lady I was sitting with joined me.  What a fascinating life she has had with having been a photographer for years including in the Bosnian war which forced her to retire from photography.  Now she teaches yoga to athletes to aid their performance.  She has lived all over the place.  Then she asked what I did.  Um. Let's see...worked for the telephone company and then the health district...(snore)

The tour guide (who had all the personality of a rock) told us to sit in the same seats when we went back.  Well...four couples didn't and sat in the seats where the strange couple sat (two ahead of me) and he went beserk.   My seat mate told him to "chill out mate" and he lost it again. She said to me I'd hate to see him react if anything major went wrong.  Anyway he made sure everyone got back to their right seats.  

The bus wound its way back up the mountain and then down again to the Costa del Sol and soon we were in Marbella where my seat mate was staying.  We were then told we were going on a walking tour of the old town which I was not thrilled to hear as I was so tired.  By this time I could barely walk so I limped along behind but at least now I don't have to make a trip there.










I liked the look of these benches even if they would be cold and hard to sit on!!!

Back on the bus and finally into Malaga over an hour later.  I got a local bus immediately and once back here I went to bed.  Exhausted!  Was it worth it?  Yes.  Would I do it again?  No!!!

Comments

Unknown said…
Just goes to show you , there are kooks everywhere !
What's up with Europeans building their cities in such odd places ? The edge of a gorge ? Completely surrounded by water (Venice) ?
Never catch a flat lander doing something like that !

Popular posts from this blog

Peeing on fish or a fish out of water

Well this morning we headed off by boat to Siem Reap.  Due to the low water on the Tonie Sap Lake (more like a river until near the end of the trip when it widened considerably) the trip would be an 8 hour one... It was supposed to be boring but ended up as anything but...in no certain order...let's see.... We had a rest stop (turned out to be the only one) along the way and the loo was just a hole over the lake and there were fish circling around underneath.  Yes it was just a hole in the floor...you definitely had someone watch your stuff while you went in or one false move and your camera/purse or whatever would be in the lake.  The fish either like the warm pee coming in or they are pervs and like to see ladies parts.  We were just a few minutes out when all of a sudden there was something flying over me and jumping all over the floor - a little fish!  Guess he wanted to join the tour.  Roger reached down and scooped him up while I hooted and hollered.  Okay it wasn&#

A walk along the coffin trail (and a couple of lakes) in the Lake District

While in the Lake District I wanted to do some light walking but not heavy duty hiking where I could easily get lost and my body not found for days partially eaten by hungry...sheep?  Anyway, you get the drift...not too grueling and safe for a solo walker.  I get a bit nervous when I am too far from civilization. There are lots of books about walking in the Lake District but they seem to be all about walking the fells in remote places...neither Thelma nor I fancied that.  While browsing in the post office/shop in Ambleside one day (if you are ever in Ambleside you must go there - a treasure!) I found a stand of walk descriptions on post cards.  And there I found my walk.  After all who could resist a stroll on the "coffin trail" in William Wordsworth country... I took a look and thought hmm...cafe along the route...that works for me. (with at least the security of knowing there was an available "loo" along the way.)  Okay, I may not have totally followed the

The highlights of my Fall 2023 trip

I'm back home after a great six weeks away. This was a "short" trip for me.  So here we go with an overview of my trip.   London London for me is always a good idea.  I fell in love with it back in the mid 70's and it's been calling me back ever since. Some of the best things in my life have happened in London.  When I learned my two Oz friends Loraine and Linda were going to be in London in the fall I knew I had to be there.  And what fun we had!!  Of course, I did loads of other things as well.  I spent two weeks there from mid September until very early October and then back again for four nights at the end of October before flying home.   After over five years (delayed for two and a half years thanks to Covid) of walking, I finally finished the 126 km Capital Ring.  The picture above is taken at the end of my walk and where I started in May of 2018 at the main door of Streatham Common station just steps from my B and B.  What a walk!  I got to see so much more